Run for Recovery 5K & Wellness Walk
Register today for the 5th annual Run for Recovery 5K & Wellness Walk on Saturday, October 23, 2021 at Rose Hill Park in Winchester. Join us to raise awareness of the impact of addiction. Click here to sign up!
Local Drug Treatment Court Completes Evaluation after Four Years in Operation
WINCHESTER – The Northwest Regional Adult Drug Treatment Court (NRADTC) has completed its first process and outcome evaluation to assess the program’s progress since 2016. The evaluation commended the NRADTC for a successful first four years of operating. Click here to see the full report: NRADTC Process and Outcome Evaluation
The Families on the Road to Recovery Support Group is meeting virtually the second and fourth Thursday of every month. If you have a loved one who is living with addiction, this support group is for you!
Make the Right Call Following an Overdose
WINCHESTER – With the increased availability of the overdose reversal medication naloxone, more lives are being saved following an overdose. Sometimes, however, it takes more than one dose of the medication to revive a person. The Northern Shenandoah Valley Substance Abuse Coalition (NSVSAC) wants to remind residents that following an overdose, the first call to make is 911, and the right call is to go to the hospital. Click here to see the full media release.
Peer-led Virtual Groups
The Within Reach Peer Resource Center is offering peer-led virtual groups six days a week. This is a great resource for anyone seeking recovery. Click here for a full list of the meetings.
Free Drug Testing Kits for Parents
Give your child a reason to say no to drugs! The Northern Shenandoah Valley Substance Abuse Coalition has free kits for parents that include tips on talking to your kids about drugs and a free drug test to use if you suspect drug use. You can pickup a kit at our office. Call to schedule a pickup time (540) 536-5000. http://roadtorecovery.info/givemeareason/
COVID-19 UPDATE AND RESOURCES
The COVID-19 outbreak is impacting everyone across our country. The situation can be especially stressful for individuals who are living with addiction or families of individuals who have a substance use disorder. Here are some things to keep in mind during a crisis to protect your recovery or support someone who is living with addiction.
- Protecting Your Recovery During a Crisis
- Supporting Family and Friends Who Are Living With Addiction
- Click here for a list of substance use disorder and Recovery Resources
Protecting Your Recovery During the Coronavirus Pandemic:
https://youtu.be/3dRpMaqyU50 As we are facing challenging times with the coronavirus pandemic, we want to offer ways that you can protect your recovery. Our Haley Brockway, who is in recovery, offers these tips. If you are feeling alone, isolated, or depressed please reach out for help by:
- Calling the Peer2Peer Regional Warm Line where local Peer Recovery Specialists are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 1-833-626-1490
- Calling a friend, sponsor, family member, or someone who supports you.
- Calling Concern HOTLINE at 540-667-0145 to speak with a compassionate listener.
- You can join online 12 step meetings through Narcotics Anonymous (narcotics.com), Alcoholics Anonymous (aa.org), or SMART Recovery (smartrecovery.org). Many of the 12 step programs also offer phone or chat support.
- Ensure that you have filled your prescriptions for your mental health medications.
- Please check on your loved ones who are living with addiction or who are in recovery.
- Take a walk or go outside.
Together we can support each other through hard times and maintain our recovery and mental health.
A new program aims to give local youth a reason to say “no” to drugs. The Give Me a Reason Drug Prevention Initiative will provide local parents with free drug testing kits. The urine test can be given within the privacy of a home with results in about 10 minutes. Use of the kits, and supportive conversations led by parents and caregivers will reinforce teens’ positive life choices. Click here to find out where you can get a kit. https://youtu.be/4mCVTot-NBg