Drug overdose deaths now exceed motor vehicle-related deaths in 29 states and Washington, D.C.
- The average age of the first time heroin user is 23 years.
- The average heroin user spends between $150 and $250 per day on his or her habit.
- Prescription painkillers can be a gateway to heroin use. A recent survey found that 3 out of 4 heroin addicts said they first started not with heroin, but with prescription opioids.
- Two of the most serious long-term effects of heroin addiction are heart disease and liver failure.
- Prescription Drug Abuse is the use of a prescription medication, controlled or non-controlled, in a manner not intended by the prescribing doctor.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control one person dies every 14 minutes in the United States of a drug overdose.
- Enough prescription pain relievers were prescribed in 2010 to medicate every American adult every four hours for a month according to the Centers for Disease Control.
- For more information on Opioids visit:
- For more information on heroin visit:
- For statistics and trends on heroin visit:
- For more information on prescription drug abuse visit: